Nani is a Lecturer in Law at Columbia Law School and regularly lectures on human rights at different universities and summer schools. She has developed and delivered training sessions on freedom of expression and human rights litigation strategy to dozens of lawyers worldwide.
Examples of teaching
The Defence Of Freedom Of Expression Around The World: The Role Of The Advocate, seminar at Columbia Law School, fall semester 2018
Introduction to International Law in Cyberspace and Introduction to International Human Rights Law, lectures at National Law University Delhi’s Summer School on Embedding Human Rights in Cybersecurity, March 2018
Litigating free speech cases in the African regional courts, guest lecture at Radboud University, November 2017 and November 2016
Strategic Litigation for Freedom Expression and Legal Methods, lectures at Annenberg-Oxford Media Policy Summer Institute, June 2017
The Right to Freedom of Expression and Hate Speech and International Law, lectures at National Law University Delhi’s Summer School on Hate Speech, March 2017
Litigating free speech cases in the African regional courts (video), guest lecture at Harvard Law School’s Human Rights Program, November 2016
Examples of training
- Training for OHCHR of lawyers and advocates from Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan on strategic litigation on freedom of expression in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Training of lawyers, activists and academics from all regions in Africa on strategic litigation on digital rights in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Training of lawyers and journalists from Hong Kong, Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Mongolia, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar and Nepal on freedom of expression, defamation, and strategic litigation in Hong Kong.
- Training of lawyers of the Center for Human Rights Lawyers on freedom of expression, defamation, protection of sources, national security, terrorism, hate speech and protecting the safety of journalists in Juba, South Sudan.
- Training of staff of Moldova’s Equality Council and Ombudsman’s Office on European Court of Human Rights and comparative law standards on hate speech and free expression in Chisinau, Moldova.
- Facilitation of a litigation workshop in Johannesburg, South Africa, for senior lawyers from Botswana, Malawi, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe to develop new litigation strategies for live freedom of expression cases.
- Development and delivery of a “litigation surgery” in Kampala, Uganda, training lawyers from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi and Sudan in litigating freedom of expression cases before the African regional courts and tribunals.
- Training of lawyers from Northeast India in litigation strategy and defending media cases, focusing on international standards on defamation, sedition, contempt of court and parliamentary privilege.
- Delivery of a series of trainings for lawyers, judges and prosecutors in Pristina, Kosovo on European Court of Human Rights standards on defamation, protection of sources, whistle-blowers and privacy, and coordination of a concluding study tour to Strasbourg visiting various Council of Europe institutions.
- Training of junior lawyers in Baku, Azerbaijan on litigating cases at the European Court of Human Rights.
- Training of judges in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, on European Court of Human Rights standards on freedom of expression and defamation.
- Training of media defence lawyers from Eastern Europe and Central Asia on litigation at the UN Human Rights Committee and other UN mechanisms in Voronezh, Russia.
- Training of lawyers from Southeast Asia on the drafting of amicus briefs and legal opinions as a litigation tool in Siem Reap, Cambodia.